Friday, November 2, 2012

Ground Operations



I would like to expound on Prop Turns “Ground Game.”  I found this topic to be interesting, for whenever aviation is mentioned, most people think about the pilots, crew and airplanes.  Ground operations are held mostly behind the scenes, and certainly are essential for any successful flight.

I worked for Signature Flight Support in the late 90’s.  I was known as a “ramper.”  We did everything from baggage handling, park/push/move aircraft, lavatory/water operations, and de-icing.  Several airlines contracted our services; there were only a select few that had their own baggage handlers at the time – Northwest, United and American.  Working overtime was not uncommon; some days consisted well over 14 hours, waiting for that late flight to come in.  Even with the long hours, I thoroughly enjoyed this job.  Every day, I had the opportunity to walk onto airplanes, talk to pilots and mechanics, and learn how airlines operate.  My love for aviation grew even stronger; becoming an airline pilot was my goal. 

After 2 years, I changed job positions.  I now fueled for one of the regional carriers out of KDTW:  Mesaba Airlines.  These were the days before CRJ’s and ERJ’s.  I re-fueled turboprops:  Metroliner’s, Dash 8’s, and SAAB 340’s.  While this position was very satisfying, I did not enjoy it as much as ramping.  I still had the opportunity to speak with pilots and learn about the day to day operations of a regional airline. 

Other ground services include catering; however, Signature did not offer this at the time.  In addition to ramping and refueling, we did include aircraft cabin cleaning in our services.

Ground operations ensure that the outcome of all flights will end in the highest standard.  Safety is our number one priority.  Without these people, airlines would simply grind to a halt.  Being a part of this for 2 ½ years was very rewarding, and if I had the opportunity to do it again, I would. 

4 comments:

  1. Do you think the turboprops are making a comeback? Would you fly one for an airline?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think they're necessarily making a comeback. I would fly one if the opportunity arose.

      Delete
    2. Check out this article I found recently http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303649504577495000914311914.html

      Delete
  2. Ground operations do seem to be overlooked. I rarely hear about them. The army taught me that the ground personnel have a more critical role in the operation of the aircraft than the pilots themselves. After all, if your aircraft aren't properly maintained or are not ready for its mission, then the aircraft will never leave the ground.

    ReplyDelete